Cyndy Douan Bio
Cyndy Douan, MHDL, IACP CDT, CDT-A, PDTI, Behavior Specialist
* 1983-1987- College of Charleston- BS- Psychology, cum laude graduate
* 1987-1990- University of North Carolina at Charlotte- Master's in Human Development and Learning (MHDL) - Counseling Specialty
* 1990-1991- Georgia Council on Child Abuse Atlanta, GA Associate Director of Parent Support Services
* 1991-1998- American Dog Training Atlanta, GAOffice Manager, Apprentice Dog Trainer, Public Relations Manager, In-Home Dog Trainer, Boarding Trainer, Group Class Instructor, Trainer Instructor.
* 1996 to Present- Owner and Operator of Kingston Kennels, LLC in Kingston, GA www.kingstonkennelsllc.com
* 1997-2000- Professional Member of the Association of Pet Dog Trainers(APDT)
* 1997- Attended APDT Educational Conference- Memphis, TN
* 1998- Attended APDT Educational Conference- Valley Forge, PA
* 1998- 2001 Brookstone Pet Shop Acworth, GA Instructed Basic Pet Training Classes, Puppy Socialization Parties, Pre-Agility Courses, and seminars on Clicker Training, Dog Tricks, Bite Prevention, and Responsible Pet Ownership.
* 1998- Joined with 14 fellow professional trainers across the USA to form the International Association of Canine Professionals(IACP) www.dogpro.org
* 1999- IACP officially founded. Held titles of "Co-Founder", "Professional Member", "Management Board Member", "Chairman of Membership", "Director of Education", "Vice President", "President".
* 2000- Attended Seminars and workshops in Richmond, Va and in Georgia on "Freestyle Dance", "Tricks", and "Agility".
* 2000- Auburn University College of Veterinary Medicine- Continuing Education Certificate in Pet Behavior Therapy
* 2000-2004- Happy Tails Pet Assisted Therapy, Inc. Roswell, GAPet Therapy Volunteer, Own two certified Pet Therapy Dogs, Volunteer for Happy Tails Pet Testing, Volunteer Support for Education in Training and Canine Behavior.
* 2001- "Acknowledged" in the book Kennels and Kenneling: Second Edition written by Joel McMains.
* 2001- Attended the First Annual IACP Conference in Hutto, TX at the Triple Crown Training Academy.
* 2001- The success of Kingston Kennels enabled the business to be formed into a Limited Liability Corporation.
* 2001 to 2004- Happy Tails Pet Assisted Therapy, Inc. - Accepted official Board position of "Pet Evaluator".
* 2001 & 2002 -Authored articles which were published in the IACP Newsletter and the German Shepherd Dog Club of Charleston Newsletter.
* 2001- Elected by the IACP Management Board to a Directorship Position with the International Association of Canine Professionals. Director of Education for IACP and administrate the IACP Basic Trainer Skills Exam.
* 2001- Began teaching Pet Training Classes at Due West Animal Clinic in Kennesaw, GA.
* 2002- Attended the Second Annual IACP Conference in Hutto, TX at the Triple Crown Training Academy.
* 2002- Earned her first USDAA Agility Dog® Title on "Kingston Kennel's Sallie" in just 5.5 agility tests in only 5 months.
* 2002 thru present- Earned more than 60 NADAC, USDAA, TDAA, CKC, ASCA, and AKC Agility titles on five of her personally owned dogs. Earned 6 CGC titles on each of her personal dogs. A herding certificate was earned on one of her dogs while three other dogs were certified for pet therapy.
* 2003- Cyndy began attending sheep herding clinics to learn to train her Border Collie to herd.
* 2003-Invited to be an IACP Mentor for trainers through the IACP LEASH Program.
* 2003- Was an invited speaker at the 2003 IACP 3rd Annual Conference. Cyndy presented a lecture on the IACP Trainer Certification Programs.
* 2003- Developed for the IACP a Professional Dog Training Instructor Certification Program.
* 2004-2007- Attended the IACP Annual Conference every year in Hutto, TX.
* 2003 and 2004 - Was presented the IACP President's Award for outstanding contribution.
* 2003- Founded the IACP Therapy Dogs Division with Kris Butler.
* 2004- Attended a working agility seminar taught by Julie Daniels for the "Wild Child" Agility Dog. There were only 5 working slots and Cyndy earned an invitation to this private seminar with her young Border Collie "Riff".
* 2004- Developed for the IACP and Pet Safe Radio Systems, three certification programs for trainers of electronic pet containment systems.
* 2005- Presented with the IACP "Member of the Year" Award.
* 2006- Competed in USDDN sponsored Freestyle Disc Dog Events.
* 2006- Opened Georgia Dog Gym, LLC in Rome, Ga. This is the largest canine activity center in the state of Georgia. http://twe02.build.sitebuilderservice.com/sitebuilder/pageid:index.html * 2006- Certified as a judge for the USDDN (Disc Dog Competitions).
* 2006- Elected President of IACP.
* 2006- Consulted through IACP with the Continental Kennel Club in the development of their "Canine Care and Training Program".
* 2007- Trained for Flyball Competition and earned two flyball titles on her dog "Riff" in their first Tournament.
* 2007- Attended Martin Deeley's E-Touch Dog Training Workshop.
* 2007- Developed the Certified Dog Trainer program for the IACP.
* 2007- Attended Stuart Mah's Advanced Agility Camp.
* 2007- Consulted with National Geographic producers on development and filming of a program for the NG Channel called "Dog Genius".
*2007- Canine Freestyle Judge for the Georgia State Disc Dog Championships in Cartersville, Georgia.
* 2007 - Became an IACP Certified Dog Trainer.
* 2007- Freestyle Execution Judge for the USDDN International Disc Dog Finals.
* 2008- "Acknowledged" in the book The Ethical Dog Trainer by Jim Barry
* 2008- Designed and Developed a new sanctioned dog agility program for the Continental Kennel Club.
*2009- Won the Belle Chere Music Festival Dock Diving Tournament with Border Collie, Riff in Asheville, NC
*2009- Canine Freestyle Execution Judge for the USDDN National and International Disc Dog Finals.
*2009- Traveled to Louisiana, Texas, and Wisconsin presenting seminars on dog agility and disc dog training.
*2010- Traveled to Missouri, Florida, & Texas presenting seminars on dog agility and disc dog training. Coordinated the first Agility Games Tournament to coincide with the USDDN World Disc Dog Finals.
*2011- Presented "Jump Training: Give Your Dogs Wings to Fly"
Seminar at the IACP Conference in San Diego, CA. Seminar is available on DVD through Tawzer Dogs.
* 2012- Inducted into the International Association Of Canine Professionals MEMBER HALL OF FAME.
*2012- WON the 2012 DockDogs Legend Big Air World Championship with her Border Collie, "Riff".
*2012- Set the NEW WORLD RECORD for SHORT DOCK DIVING with her Border Collie "Rook".
*2013- Presented "Introduction to Dog Agility" Workshop at the IACP Annual Conference in Hutto, TX.
*2014- Awarded 2014 DockDogs "Top Breed" Border Collie. (Rafter W Flank Sinatra")
*2014- Finished 2nd Place in Big Air Super Elite Division and 6th Place Spartan Iron Dog Division at DockDogs World Championships with her 2 year old
Border Collie "Flank Sinatra".
*2014- Awarded 2014 DockDogs Top Ranked Elite Big Air Division. (Rafter W Rook)
*2014- Finished 2nd Place in Fetch-It with Flank Sinatra at the Purina Incredible Dog Challenge Eastern Regional Championships in Atlanta, GA.
*2014- Finished 4th Place in Diving Dog with Rafter W Rook at the Purina Incredible Dog Challenge Eastern Regional Championships in Atlanta, GA.
*2014- Presented "Freestyle Dancing with Your Dog" at the IACP Annual Conference in Alexandria, VA.
*2015- Awarded 2015 DockDogs "Top Breed Iron Dog" Border Collie. (Rafter W Flank Sinatra).
*2015- Completed IACP Certified Dog Trainer-Advanced & IACP Professional Dog Training Instructor Certifications.
*2016- Awarded 2016 Dockdogs "Top Breed Iron Dog AND Top Breed Big Air" Border Collie. (Rafter W Flank Sinatra).
*2017- 3rd Place- FETCH-IT at Eastern Regional Purina Incredible Dog Challenge with Rafter W Flank Sinatra.
*2017- Awarded 2017 Dockdogs "Top Breed Iron Dog AND Top Breed Big Air" Border Collie. (Rafter W Flank Sinatra).
*2017-Panel Speaker at International Association of Canine Professionals Conference in St. Louis, Mo.
* 2017- Certified by North American Goose Dog Association to provide Goose Control services.
* 1991- Present- Trained over 2000 dog/owner teams. Includes over 70 different breeds, ages 6 weeks to 10 years old, plus many varieties of mixed breeds.
2012 to Present- Cyndy has provided consult and mentorships to professional dog trainers across the country and throughout the world.
* References can be checked through a web search. (Google: Cyndy Douan).